Thread: Penny
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2023, 09:55 PM   #75
cwcarpenter98

Re: Penny

I know what’s wrong with it, it ain’t got no gas in it!

Yup, once again, I didn’t have enough gas in the tank. Finally got the timing set right and played with the idle mixture screws. Still need to mess with the fast idle settings a smidge, but I was able to cruise around the neighborhood this evening. Dad’s old Sears timing light helped bring the 305 right back around. Currently seems to be running decent with 10* of initial timing and I have all the vacuum lines hooked up except for the charcoal canister as some of the plastic vacuum parts were chewed through by the rats.

Also tested the emergency brake and it worked! All the brakes work even after sitting for 20 years in a field. Didn’t even have to bleed the brakes!

Unfortunately, I believe I know why Penny was put out to pasture so many years ago. Reverse has a fair amount of slippage when any decent amount of throttle is applied. Now I have to decide to either have the th350 rebuilt, or swap to a 5 speed manual (either s10 5 speed or drop the coin on a new tremec tkx 5 speed). Decisions, decisions

http://youtu.be/dd6LK8zkC60
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 04-21-2023 at 10:08 PM.
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote