View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
dieseldawg142

Re: Truck Campers, Tie Downs, What Are You Using

it's good you can fab, cause there really is not a lot out there for 73-87's.
squares can be hard to frame tie your camper because of the fuel tank(s).
most squares i seen wit a camper have either stake pocket tie downs or homemade belly bars. most aftermarket belly bars won't work cause of the tanks. and was never a fan of the GM factory tie downs- putting holes in yer sheetmetal and letting the body take the twisting...
as my truck is lifted, not only are the fuel tanks in the way, but so is my driveshaft and mufflers, so i made two bars for the front, and taking a cue from the guys who have "Rock Tamer" mud flaps mounted to their hitch, made a tie down bar that bolts onto my hitch.
https://www.cruiserframes.com/rocktamers.asp
there really is not a lot of load put on camper bars. your camper sits in the box between the fenderwells, just like haulin a reg load. what the tie downs do is stop any rocking making the load more stable. i hauled my camper home 20 miles after purchase with just a couple ratchet straps till i could figure out some bars.
my rube goldberg home made mounts, couple pieces of angle and some pipe...(it's all i had laying around at the time) you can see how the tanks become an issue (and muffs and driveshaft...)
Name:  IMG_5541 (2).jpg
Views: 567
Size:  49.3 KBName:  IMG_5540 (2).jpg
Views: 559
Size:  47.7 KB

my homemade rear bar just bolts onto my hitch
Name:  IMG_5542 (2).jpg
Views: 563
Size:  48.5 KB

i've had my camper in some pretty rough off road spots, have had it leaning way past where you would think it would flop on it's side and have never had any probs. crews are great for haulin' campers too, nice long wheelbase makes for a very stable ride
Name:  IMG_4380.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  69.9 KBName:  IMG_2495 (2).jpg
Views: 761
Size:  54.5 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote