View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 07:00 PM   #12
JohnIL

Problem Solved!!!

Thanks to your advice, I think we found (and solved) the problem.

After my last post this afternoon, I was so disgusted with the prospect of waiting a week for a new throttle/TV cable bracket to arrive that I broke out my junior mad scientist fabrication set (angle grinder and welder) and customized the old throttle bracket. I'll save you the gory details because they are a little bit embarrassing. But, after a few hours of cutting, welding, cutting again, and welding again, I managed to adapt the existing bracket to move the throttle cable and TV cable 1" toward the driver side. This put the TV cable in straight alignment with the new TV correction bracket on the carburetor.

I reset the adjustable TV adjustment and pulled the carburetor to full throttle. The cable did not actually adjust, but there is light tension on the cable at rest and it moves to full extension at full throttle.

With everything buttoned back up, we went for another test drive. I knew were on to something good when it shifted into 2nd gear at 20 mph, before we even got to the end of the block. When we got outside of town, we went through the full battery of tests. Under moderate throttle, it shifts into 2nd at 20-25 mph at 2500 rpm. It shifts into 3rd at 30-35 mph, again at 2500 rpm. It hangs in 3rd up to 55-60 mph, around 2700 rpm. Once in overdrive, it settles down at 65 mph at around 1900-2000 rpm.

So, I think we're in pretty good shape. My only concern is that I would expect it to be in overdrive a little bit earlier, around 50ish mph.

Based on these numbers, is there anything else we should look at? Does all of this sound relatively normal?

Again, I can't thank you guys enough. I was completely lost. You all showed me the way back home.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

John

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=838676
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote