View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #33
jnocero

Re: Rack & Pinion on Stock Crossmember?

No offense taken. I enjoy good discussion, thats why I joined this site, and thats why I post my hairbrained ideas on this board first before I spend time and money.
Don't know the answer to whether it is the correct rack for a 67. The 06 width is 59", and the 67 is 56". Seems like 3" could be made up in tie rod ends and couplers pretty easy.
As for geometry, my plan was to try and place the rack as close as possible to the Flaming River rack, make sure it worked for all control arm and spindle angles, and try it out.
That's why I posted here, to try and find someone who had purchased the Flaming River kit, but no one has.
Just trying to find a less expensive alternative to a complete subframe swap, and do it safely. I think there is a need for a bolt in R&P that doesn't require notching the frame and doesn't cost $3K. The nice thing about DIY is that you don't have to have all three of the "Better, Cheaper, Faster" conditions. You can try different things on your own time, and just settle for "Better and Cheaper".
I really appreciate your posts Scotti.