View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Gear ratios, and how low is too low?

I am putting my 383 reverse cooled engine in my 83 stepside as free time allows, and I am dreaming of muscle truck glory.

The engine is something like a 475hp/475tq 383 built to smog legal standards, and is backed by a TH700. It came out of a 92 Vette with the best of everything 94 build, and with a dyno sheet of 460hp/450tq. I only had the paperwork long enough to quickly look it over. To which I added proper long tube headers, and the gmpp 4 barrel intake.

So now with a smog legal cam, and a manifold that works better. Hp/tq should be up quite a bit under the curve, and hold out up top. Due to the better exhaust I am running for power.

The tire sizes I will run will will either be 33/12.50/15's or 285/75/16's. Depending on if I keep it a C10 or C20. The suspension will be optimized for bombing dirt roads in a rally cross fashion.

So for the guys who have had deep gearing, and or still do. Would I have a burn out machine unable to hook up. Or would it potentially make the truck faster in the 1/4?

Or would I be better off with 5.13's if I built a revvy 302, or 327 which would make less torque down low?

Thoughts opinions...
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote