View Single Post
Old 08-01-2023, 09:47 PM   #53
CivilEGR

Re: 69 Chevy C20 HO52 full floating rear end drum brake removal/installation.

Normally I don't like bumping old threads, but I've been referencing this one a lot in the last week. Unfortunately I've run into a few bumps and could use some input.

For starters, my truck is a '63 with a HO72. When disassembling, my hub was missing the lock ring. Instead it went Nut/Washer/Nut. I ordered the locking ring and will install it correctly as Nut/Lock Ring/Nut/Washer.

Next the main reason I dissembled mine was to replace the parking brake. I bought them off Inline Tube and they seem to fit perfectly.

However, when I reassembled everything and went to adjust the adjuster, I spent 20 minutes "turning" it, but it never tightened against the drum. I took the hub off again and think that it's so bound up on the retaining spring below it that it's not allowing it to turn.

Looking at other pictures on this thread, it looks like the "newer" model trucks had the locking lever for the adjuster, where mine has no such provisions. I'm wondering if it is supposed to be tight against the spring as a way to "lock" it and keep it from spinning.

Regardless, I'm stuck and frustrated and can't figure how to get this thing to tighten against the drum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CivilEGR is offline   Reply With Quote