View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #174
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I haven't been behind the wheel for about 12 years now, but even back then "Good Buddy" meant something entirely different then it did during "Smokey And The Bandit" days.
When I left we just addressed each other by "Driver" or the carrier they were driving for except when you're pointing out a potential problem. "Driver, you know your left headlight's out right?" "Driver, you know your inside rear trailer re-flap is coming apart right?" "You're going to run out of flasher-fluid." (This is if they changed lanes and the signals didn't cancel.)
Being generic doesn't pin-point a particular truck and make it too easy for DOT or a bear to single him/her out.
Don't ask for a "Smokey Report"! Just listen. If there's a Smokey, DOT, or local around they'll already be chatting about him.

Just my 2 cents worth.....
Yeah, last year, after a 20-something year absence from the frequency,
I finally got my [long-lost, newly-found] NIB Radio Shack SSB/AM rig mounted in the '92 Subaru with a small mag mount as ears, and was tearing up I-10 for a gig in PHX. Around MP 184 [?] I saw the Highway Patrol stopped on the side, and tried out the rig with the traditional Smokey report: "Northbound Eye Ten, be advised, Bear on the side at MP 184, 1-8-4...'' I got a few ''Ten Rogers'', and ''Thanks'' from other units, then in less than a minute, that same white-and-blue Dept of Public Safety late model Ford Explorer was on my tail taking pictures. After about 90 seconds, long enough to run my plates, he pulled left and reset his position on the median, to clock the Southbound, I guess. So Bears got ears, now. I maintained radio silence after that.
I did read on the website "Urban Dictionary'' that "Good Buddy" has acquired a non-traditional connotation nowadays.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote