View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 11:41 PM   #6
CC69Rat

Re: Carb Adjustment Question

Are you running a factory style fuel pump? The typical mechanical fuel pump is going to push around 9psi.

The 1406/1407 carbs like around 4.5-5psi. Edelbrock sells a fuel pump specifically for this series carb. Or of course you could add an inline fuel pressure regulator. My .02. I think your fuel pressure is too high and it's causing the fuel to flood the needle and seat. It's a pretty common issue on the AVS series carbs. There are several articles online about it.

I'd put a good quality fuel pressure regulator on it. Start at 4.5psi and drive it. Adjust from there.

This could also be a heat issue in the carb. It runs fine and as you drive it, it gets worse, stalls at stoplights, Hard to start it if it's hot. Let it cool off and it will start back up. Edelbrock offers a phenolic spacer commonly used with these carbs to help minimize the heat issue. The heat from the intake soaks into the aluminum body on the carb and causes the fuel to boil. The spacer kinda insulates the carb and holds the heat down

Add the spacer, fuel pressure regulator and it will be a different truck.
Hope this helps

Article on the fuel pressure issues
https://www.carburetor-blog.com/know...oubleshooting/

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)

Last edited by CC69Rat; 02-21-2024 at 11:54 PM.
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote