View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 01:39 AM   #4
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

So I have been neglecting this thread, but I haven't neglected the truck. I'll try to get it caught up from memory.

The first thing that I did was tackle the non-running situation. I took an inventory of the engine/ignition/fuel system and found a lot of bodges.

The plugs were all fouled with oil from the outside and unburned fuel on the inside, there was even a spark plug "spacer" on one of the plugs.

The original distributor was pretty beat up and base timing was out. The vacuum advance was non-functional.

The original carburetor was still on the engine, and in dire need of a rebuild. As I looked into it, I found that it was a little small and proprietary to the intake that was on the truck. Learned another interesting thing, which is that the intake manifold/carb was from the 283 engine and Chevy had installed them on the early 327 - "275 HP" engines. The heads are also the 283 heads from the factory, which means they aren't very high performance.

The headers had the internal flap on one side and it was seized solid.

There were numerous vacuum leaks, and the vac line to the transmission was completely rotted out.
Attached Images

SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote