View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Todd_a

Re: Dropping my '64 stepside without messing with the suspension...

DAY 2 (9/2/07):

Today I had to weld on the front "frame Horns" I cut off yesterday to support the front end and the bumber, plus I had to do some repair where one of the mounts to the frame had rusted and came apart and was hanging that corner lower than the other. The frame pieces I cut off were re-attached at exactly the bottom of the frame - 5" below their original location.

Next I had to fab up a new steering shaft that would clear the A-Arm and accomodate the new angle from the firewall being 5" lower. I chopped up the original shaft and welded in a couple of small u-joints to it to make the turns.

I should have taken a pic, but the brake pedal was now located about 1/2" from the floor, so I cut that off and cut out a section of it and I shortened it and bent it over towards the side a little more and I removed the clutch pedal.

I also did more welding on the rear of the cab and I cut one of the side pieces for inside the cab where the floor is raised and welded it in place. While I was doing all that I also cut a piece and welded it in were the cas filler cap used to be.

Now the cab and front end are sitting at the new permanent height. It did not come up very much from how it was resting last night. Sweet! I have to drop the bed next. You can see in some of the pics how the bed it a lot higher than the cab.

More issues I have to deal with - the Radiator. It now sits way too high and the hood won't close... The seat - it is too high and the steering wheel almost touches it. Ugh!

Here are the pics from tonight....

Last edited by Todd_a; 09-04-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Todd_a is offline   Reply With Quote