View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Todd_a

Re: Dropping my '64 stepside without messing with the suspension...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Man, that whole floor situation has me puzzled. I'm sure you already have this figured out, or you wouldn't have done it, but how in the world are you going to get a seat in there? You'll almost have to use something like 66 Mustang buckets that have a seat height of about 6" or something similar. Keep us updated. This will really be interesting how this turns out. You may have started a fad.
I actually had just installed a bench seat from some sort of a Chrystler product in there the week before I started this. This morning I just finished cutting down the mounts I had made previously so that the seat will fit in there and the bottom fromt of the seat sits about 1/4" above the tall part of the tranny tunnel. The steering wheel does sit a little closer to the seat than I would like, but I can always put a tilt wheel in there, however I love the factory column.

Another alternative is that I can cut out that tall part of the tranny tunnel and then fabricate a new piece for that either flat (if it will clear the tranny there) or with a small hump, because that large hump is not necessary with a turbo 350 tranny.

As it is now, the bench seat fits. As I enter the truck the front foam part of the seat squishes down and I can slide right in past the wheel with no problem.

Things are a lot tighter in the cab this way. That is probably one reason that people usually only go with a 2 - 3" body drop. There is an alternative version of the drop where you cut the floor where the frame is and move the body mounts down and the frame rails actually come up ino the cab, but the rest of the interior stays the same. If you customize your seat brackets you can have everything almost exactly the same as before the drop.
Todd_a is offline   Reply With Quote