View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #13
truckin 79

Re: Gauge cluster removal qustion

I pull mine out almost once a month trying to find electrical gremlins that are affecting my gauges. Plus I will pull a few of these at my local junkyard when I find them as well. Everytime I take it out it feels like the first time though. I have not removed dash pad so do not know if that would make it any easier. I take off gauge bezel which is the easy part, mine is none AC. When it comes to cluster I take off the four mounting screws (3 in my case) on the outside. The mounting tab on left of cluster is usually broken but 3 screws is plenty. Reach up and push tab to release speedo cable and then pull off gauge cluster pigtail. Remember to take off the shift indicator from steering wheel column as well. I have found it easier to remover the PRND indicator as well but you can leave it. Then comes the finagling part, you have to gently move it to the left to clear the metal dash and gently wiggle slowly, some profanity helps as well or farfegnugens if you are so inclined. As you can see in TKCR pic the plastic part of cluster by fuel gauge is tucked behind the metal of dash. So as you push to the left this is usually where the tab on the left gets broken off. Some days it will take me about 5 minutes to get cluster out other times 15-20, good luck