View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #400
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
The pipe sounds like a perfectly good substitute for the sanding block we had.

And I was just offering those up for ease of sanding the curved areas like around the wheels arches and the upper body line. I really can't tell from the pictures because I'm still a novice also (did the one truck with help from another guy and advice from a painter and body guy) We had areas on first primer that went through all the way to the metal. It's sometimes hard to see until you get high build on and start sanding. We ended up with two coats of primer the first time, sanding....two more coats, sanding, and a final coat. Then went in with what they called "icing" and took care of any super small sanding "pits" or bugs in the paint areas. Sanded those smooth then went with sealer and then paint (three coats) and clear (3 coats)
I hear ya, and I figured I was going to have to do this stage at least twice on some panels. I also have some wood dowels, round dura-block and lots of other scrap pieces to use as blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAGMC View Post
Looking good, I have much respect for you diving in to such a project with little to no experience. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see how it turns out, it's going to be B-E-A-UTIFUL!
Thanks for saying that. When I started there was no way for me to afford to pay someone else to do it without borrowing the cash. Believe it or not, I probably have less than $5000 into the truck for the entire time I've owned it. So I went into this project saying I'll give it a shot and do the best that I can. If that doesn't turn out so well, I'll bring it to someone who can. Well, so far, so good. I still plan on having an experienced painter spray the color and clear though. I've seen enough of my own mistakes to know I'm not ready for that yet. I do plan on painting my Jimmy though.

On another note, I got the car dollies I ordered today so i'll be able to move it around the garage a bit easier. I picked up a dead blow hammer today that I want to try on a couple of the high spots along the bed rail. I didn't care for how the light weight body hammers worked (or didn't work) in some areas that just needed a bit more persuasion.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-07-2011 at 06:20 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote