View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 09:11 AM   #16
67 twins

Re: 1970 350 vs. 1978 350 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
So many go to ultimate power considerations as if adequate, or far better than, is unacceptable. Of course, we all whine about what gas is costing us too. Bigger ain't better there. The 283 came in this truck and these Chevy trucks are some of the best designed and built vehicles on the planet. Proof is in the pudding. Yeah, there's always "while you're at it you might as well...", but not everyone is after the same results. Some like to keep things as built or do all original restorations.

283s might not be rare but they aren't laying all over the place like 350s are. I'd like to pick up a 283. have wanted one a long time. I haven't gone out and searched real hard, but I also haven't stumbled across one in all that time. 350s are everywhere. Many 350 zombies (no offense, I hope. I also run them) have tossed 283s and 307s due to their bigger/better only consideration mentality. How many times have you read, "It's a waste of time rebuilding one of those"? The fact is, both those "tiny" small blocks are very long lasting motors. Any I have opened up, due to the top end goes first thing, have had beautiful looking bores and journals. They seem to be easier on themselves than 350s, in my experience. And it's not that a 283 can't let'er rip either. Nothing like the sound of a 283 wound tight.

'66 Nova 283 Super Stocker - YouTube

Real Race Cars Have a Clutch??283 Impala (?80s Flashback & Ride Along) - YouTube

And here is a C/10 build using a built for daily driving. Notice the engine builder said it still had the GM bearings in it.

Rebuilding a 283 Small Block for a Daily Driver C10 - HorsePower S12, E7 - YouTube
I'm sure if you really want one they won't be hard to find. This one I just put in daily driver I did basically stumble across. Talking to one guy at work about my blown up engine situation he turned me on to another guy at work who had pulled one out of a 68 Camaro. Turned out to be a 283 from a 67 truck from the casting number.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote