View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 11:03 AM   #25
SCOTI

Re: 1970 350 vs. 1978 350 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Call me crazy, but (given the platform) I'd probably go with either 350 block, a longer crank, the Vortec heads and a minimal overbore. Close to 100 cubes of displacement is bound to be noticeable (in response to the 283 comments).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
Oh I'm sure you will, but I don't need 400hp to get the job done. The best part is there are a lot of people that think as you do making it easy for me to pick up 283s cheap.
Nostalgia is great but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

We are talking about trucks so the additional crank stroke & cubes of a 350 w/the right choice in heads = more torque. Additional torque is a difference maker when doing truck stuff. There's absolutely nothing wrong w/a 283. If his current engine was in a good state of repair, I wouldn't swap a 350 just to have a 350. But if it's worn & wounded, upsizing to the 350 makes sense here.

He can continue to utilize what's currently there while building the next power-plant. If he's buying an extra sbc to build, building for increased torque makes more sense than the nostalgia of being able to say "It's a 283".
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-31-2023 at 05:17 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote