View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Re: fender and door molding hole location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Thanks. Yes, I've had that sketch which helps with everything but the remainder of the fender. Knowing it follows the body line helps. So the screws are 7/8" down from the body line, which falls in the offset portion of the molding, not the middle. How far down from the top body line are the 1/4" studs?
You're welcome. Yes, the screw holes A & C are 7/8" down from the body line and fall within the indented accent stripe portion of the molding, which is offset slightly toward the bottom on the upper molding.

I think the 1/4" studs on the molding clips are centered top to bottom. So that would put the holes for them up just a little bit higher. But before drilling any holes, I'd recommend doing a mock-up by temporarily taping the molding in place (without the clips of course). Mark out it's lower edge with some masking tape. Then double check the clips to make sure the studs are centered. If so, you can put the height of the holes half way between the body line and the tape line that marks the lower edge of the molding.

Also, it's a good idea to use the molding itself to establish the exact location of the screw holes (A through D). When doing the test fitting / mock-up on Dad's 77, I found that it was necessary to slightly re-position a couple of those holes for better door to fender molding alignment. With the holes for the stud clips, you can be off a tiny bit and still have some room for adjustment if you simply make the hole a bit larger than the stud. But with the screw holes, you have to get them spot on.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote