View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #14
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Strange noise has me stumped.

Well I got under the truck yesterday to do some investigating. Nothing obvious was found. Well except for my oil leak. The back half of oil pan studs were loose. Tightened those up. Pulled torque converter cover off. It was tight to the trans though. No signs of rubbing. Torque converter bolts are still there and tight. No loose bell housing bolts. No loose crank flange bolts. Tires were low on air. Pumped them all to 35 psi. Passenger side rear lugnuts needed a little more torque on them. Torqued all four tires to 105 ft. Lbs. Just to make sure they were all the same and tight. Drove the truck and thought the sound went away. NOPE. Actually I could hear it better and louder without the cover. It literally sounds like it is coming from directly beneath me. Which would be transmission. So I started thinking about what another member said regarding pinion angle. I have 2 piece driveshaft and leaf spring suspension. The center support crossmember has 2 mounting locations from the factory. I've searched high and low for info on which of the 2 locations is correct for my setup. I have the "horseshoe" style center support bearing. Not the more common pedestal type that are cheap and flimsy. The difference between the 2 mounting locations is about 2 inches higher or lower. Which in degrees of operation can make a difference. I dont have a magnetic angle finder available and money is kinda tight. So I think I will try and switch to the upper mounting location. It's currently in the lower position. And I cant go by the witness marks because everything has been painted under there. And years ago before I knew anything about my truck I never thought to mark the original position before disassembly. I've had the truck since 2004 when I was 18. Wrecked it back then and I ignored it for 8 years. Learned a lot since then. And am happy I never got rid of the truck no matter how many people told me I should. If the mounting position change doesnt fix the issue, I'm gonna take it back to the tranny shop and have them take a look inside. It's still covered under warranty. Never had the noise before the rebuild. I am positive of that. But I also had the rearend rebuilt around the same time. Trans shop is closer though. So I will start there. I'll report back after driving it for a day or 2 with the driveshaft mounted in a different position. I'm sure I will eventually figure this situation out.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote