View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #18
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Strange noise has me stumped.

I changed the mounting location of my center support bearing to the upper location. The truck seems to like it better. The drive is smoother, I'm getting higher rpm gear changes. The sound still happens but it doesnt happen as easily as it used to. There were some sections of road that I knew would cause the sound. They looked pretty smooth as you are going down the road but they would get the suspension to move. Now the noise doesnt happen over some of those sections. But now that I have the torque convert cover removed, and i get the noise it is louder and it sounds like it is coming from directly beneath me. Yesterday i was next to a good sized center median with a high curb. And the noise happened. I swear the noienis directly beneath my feet and in the front end. But just the other night i swore it was behind me. I'm thinking it's something in the transmission. The flexplate is brand new when i did the transmission rebuild. It's a heavy duty pioneer flexplate. Not sfi rated but better than stock. I changed it because my old one was original and had some chipped teeth un more than a couple of spots. My starter doesnt drag and doesnt grind.
So far the best way i can describe the situation is, it seems the noise happens when the suspension is bounced. Almost as if something is bottomed out and something falls and gets stuck and is grinding metal on metal like if you drag a metal bar behind you while you ride a bike. But instead of the sound you get from it hitting the asphalt it sounds smoother like a grinding stone. As soon as I let up on the accelerator like even just slightly the sound immediately goes away. If I accelerate instead the noise does not get loud or faster. It stays consistant. Right now I am in the middle of a serious job of replacing the engine in a friends 2007 tahoe. The 5.3 had a collapsed lifter or wiped out cam. So I'm putting a reman motor in. I got it in last night. Now it's time to reconnect everything and put it back together. So this is my current priority for the next couple of days. But I will keep updating and checking back in if anything changes

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote