View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #22
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Strange noise has me stumped.

It's funny you mention loading the suspension. Yesterday I helped a buddy move a baby grand piano. They weigh between 500-600 pounds. We had to move it about 12 miles. Various speeds. No hills or anything just flat road driving. I was paying attention to see if I could hear the noise. I did not hear it once. Even through some sections I thought for sure would make the noise happen. But it didnt. After we unloaded it, I went about my day eventually driving another 35 miles or so. The noise came back 1 or 2 times. But one time in particular I was going through a sweeping curve in the road. And I heard the noise but it was very different from any other time. It was a clicking noise this time. Like a baseball card in the spokes noise. It was while I was making a big sweeping left. My thought was it has to be torque converter bolts or the starter nose or pinion hitting the flexplate. I havent had a chance to get under there and look but I will today for sure. I have had trouble with a loose starter bolt in the past. Quite a bit of trouble actually because the outer starter mounting bolt hole is cracked in the block. I do have a starter brace on the starter. But also I've noticed it taking a little bit longer to kick over. It was just a flick of the key for it to turn over and run. No it sometimes take a second or a few longer to get it to turn on. I've also had 2 starters with weak bendixs and pinions. Both of those were reman starters. One of them took me 3 weeks to figure it out and had the pinion basically pinballing off the flexplate if I drove up any sort of incline or mad any fast accelerations. Let off the gas or hit the brakes the noise would go away. So now it's making me wonder if it's happening again. I'll keep you guys posted.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote