View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Prep aluminum for powder coat?

RO primer is red oxide primer. You can get it at Powder365.

http://powder365.com/store/index.php...roducts_id=212

Its unlike other powders in that you get the part to full 400 degrees and shoot the primer on hot. The cure time is about 1 minute after that. Then you shoot your normal topcoat over it.

B17 is powdercoat stripper. I'm not exaggerating when I say this stuff is lethal. You can take a powdercoated part, dip it in the B17 and 3 minutes later its bare metal again. No scrubbing, no sanding, no blasting. It will strip paint off as fast as you can submerge the part and pull it out again. I'm not kidding. Paint something then tie a wire to it. Dip it in the B17, count to five and pull it out. No more paint.

Its expensive but an absolute requirement to me. When doing customer work, I screw up all the time like anyone. I have to have the quick option of stripping the part and redoing. Blasting powder off is horrible. It destroys the detail of the part and it just takes too long. Imagine blasting a 20 inch aluminum wheel that you powdercoated and screwed up. You'd be there for hours and by the time you got it all off, you'd have killed any fine detail in the aluminum wheel by focusing the abrasive on it so long. B17 turns that into a 30 minute mistake not a "buy the customer a new wheel" mistake. I buy it 55 gallons at a time, but you can buy it in 5 gallon increments. You store it in a sealed drum and its infinitely reuseable. I only have to order new stuff every couple of years and that's only due to evaporation when I have the lid open.

Notice the price reflects the to-your-door shipped price.

http://bencosales.com/store/product_...products_id=12

Its the industry standard and all powdercoat shops have it on hand to solve their mistakes with.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote