View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 12:43 AM   #18
ChevyRacefan

Re: 60 gal compressor garage piping size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
I have 3/4" black pipe but built it so water has to drain back into the tank, or blow through the outlet end via traps and filters. No place place for water to collect makes for little rust. It also makes it easy to purge water.
The systems w/ vertical long runs and short horizontal and many valves make no sense to me. I might be full of crap, no doubt. I'm also speaking of a 2 car garage in suburbia, not a big shop. That said, I have a light commercial grade (Saylor-Beall) 80 gal compressor.
I drain water from the tank by purging (not draining) when I think about it so generally I start w/ cool air.

Let's not get started on the PVC suicide pipe. That's nuts. Leave a piece of PVC outside for a few months, then drop it on the ground. Shattered.
My problem started when I had to move the compressor for the deck the wife wanted, So the compressor "shed" went to the other side of the garage, and connects to what was the pipe farthest point, Running a compressor when it is cold out, and is heating the air puts moister in the lines. That and the long sit times between use at times, And the planned slopes being well, not really done all that well, 20+ year ago when installed. it needs to go.

I like to have few drops/connectors, than most for the size of my garage.
1) on the side ( outside) in a electric outlet waterproof box, for blasting.
1) beside the garage door, for working in driveway without having to have the door open.
1) That is only for paint work with shut off valve and own filters/driers.
1) in back end of garage,
1) on house side of garage half way down the side, this one has a feed that goes into the basement so I can use woodworking air tools or drill/grinders for head work, or whatever else.
Each one has 2 hose connections. So the paint only teed off connection, before it has a hose reel for normal use. The side connection has a 2nd on the inside for blasting cab. The one at the back has one going to back yard for blowing out water lines. and the one on the house side feeds the basement and folding work bench area and the one near the garage door, splits and one connector is outside in a outlet box for driveway, and the inside is so I don't have to have a hose draped along side the vehicle and make using a creeper a pain.
Sure the extra drops are not required, or "needed" but I found it is much easier this way. And with the compressor in it's own shed, keeps the garage noise down. and not having hose draped along the floor while under the vehicle is golden. The extra few hundred to add a the drops, is worth it, to make using the garage better, With a vehicle in it, there is only 2' per side to get around them, having to drape air hose around makes it a royal pain.
I don't see me building a bigger garage or shop anytime soon, so . making what I do have As good as I can as far as ease of use is worth it to me, to spend a few extra hundred.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote