View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
sick472

Re: Restoration insanity

I have changed my attack on my next project, maybe cause I'm more patient in my older age, but most of it comes from wisdom due to that old age. Here's my new plan of attack for the project...

In short, take it apart small areas at a time fixing, restoring, and buying the pieces as I go so that shortly after the last part comes off...all the previous parts are ready to go back on.

In long,

Instead of getting real excited and taking the whole thing apart right at the beginning and then scattering it all over the shop, stuffed in to boxes, and piled in buckets...I have been taking pieces off and restoring them as I go, then packaging them up nice for storage. For the items that are too far gone, I add them to the "2 Buy" list, look for good used parts, or buy new. These found or purchased parts are then stored with the re-conditioned parts ready for install. Some things don't make sense to buy and store for the duration of the project (like upholstery and carpet), but other things make sense to buy well ahead of time to avoid all the Out-Of-Stock problems the world is having. I am at a point of the project where the body is off the frame and the chassis is a roller...most all the items that have been removed are ready to go back on. My goal is to get to the point where it's all assembly and nothing else...saving the excitement for the very last without delay due to parts that need to be cleaned up/repaired, missing parts, or back orders. The last item to be sub assembled will be the motor. Once it is complete...the thing should go back together pretty fast.

Wish me luck!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote