View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 09:31 PM   #7
Chaparralman1974

Re: Trim / Mounting Holes....What should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I leave the holes and use the clips. The trim is designed to work well with the clips. If you were to tape the 67/68 trim on, it would be a PITA and you would need to build the tape up on the back of the trim to make it work and look factory. If you didn't build it up and just taped along the (really)thin edge of the trim, you wouldn't have much taping surface and the trim would be spaced off the truck the thickness of the tape.(which they sell in different thicknesses)

As far as water getting in, make sure the drains in the bottom of your doors are clear and functional and put some rope caulk on the holes in the cab corner and you should be good to go.

All of the 67/68's that I have seen are dimpled like that when they have the factory trim holes. I have historically made sure the dimpling won't show, or if I think it might, I'll body work up to within 1/2 inch of the hole and not have the build up at the edges of the holes. Most won't show.

Have you ordered your trim yet? I ordered a set of shortbed trim from Mar-K back in December and I'm still waiting, but I don't need it yet either. It should ship soon and maybe they'll be good on stock again.

Thanks Jason! That definitely makes sense. I have not yet ordered any trim. I am still in the body working phase of the project. I am just about done with the driver side door and fender. Then I have to repeat the process on the passenger side. The hood and grill are in pretty good shape, so it will be onto the bed after that. That is a whole different story....the bed is going to take a lot of work or total replacement.

Clay
Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote