View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Haggar

Re: 1971 Jimmy with 6.0 LQ4 / 4L65, 4" lift/33s.. basic family fun cruiser

Other than that swap stuff, I've added a Softopper, which went together without too much issue, and I did a stereo last weekend. We didn't have any interior panels, so I got the basic plastic front kick panels, without speakers. I had to make a spacer for them (I cut rings out of 1/2" MDF) as my speakers were too deep to fit. I used JBL GTO series 6.5" components for the front, and covered the panels with grey felt, as I didn't like the shiny black plastic.

For the rear, I made simple panels of 1/4" plywood (that literally was sitting for 20+ years in my dad's woodshop). I backed the speaker area with 1/2 plywood for stiffness, and cut pieces of 1.25" x 0.120 aluminum angle, which I riveted to the floor and wheelwell to secure the bottom edge of the panels. More grey felt and sound insulation mat went on the wheelwells, since the PO had sprayed with some bedliner that was very rough on the skin.

I build a sub box for the cargo area, and a carpeted board under the back seat to put the amps.. an old Sony Xplod 50W x 4, for the main speakers and an MTX 1000.1, set to run 600 watts to the sub, which is a dual voice coil 12" Sundown SA-12. A retrosound stereo is in the dash to control it. I'm going to try to 'mold' the OEM GM radio face, buttons, and knob over it to make it less... shiny.
Attached Images

Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote