View Single Post
Old 12-11-2023, 05:43 PM   #35
MikeB

Re: More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
almost all home chargers i see being installed are 2 phase/240 volt, which pretty much every house has....unless your living in a tent.
"2-phase" is an older term that is no longer used. Homes use single phase electricity. Level II home chargers are 220-240 volt, typically 30 or 40 amps, but can be up to 80 amps if your service panel can handle the extra load and the circuit uses 4-gauge wire.

On the other hand, Superchargers like Tesla has on the highways are 480 volt 3-phase and around 100 amps or more, best I can tell. But I think they currently work only with Teslas.

However, home charging is not the main problem (except for contributing to brown-outs). The problem is what's available out on the highways. We love the southwest, and do a fair amount a traveling from Texas to New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. Have to say it's rare to see an EV out on the highways away from the medium to large towns. That's probably different on the coasts, especially the west coast.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!