View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Phill

71' K10 4x4 SWB project "North to Alaska"

I guess the best way to start a build thread is to scope out the goals;

I hope to make this a runner, a every day driver if you will. I have the hopes to take it on a road trip to Alaska in the summer of 2015. My main goals before the trip are a body that's decent, and ok paint. What I mean by that is, it looks ok from 20'. Drivetrain wise I want this thing perfect, no corners cut as to reliability, simplicity, originality, and driveability. I want it to run as good or better then new in 1971.

I ended up finding my perfect base to start on, it was originally a California truck, bought in 1970. It was moved (with the owner) to Washington in the 80's. It was half assed restored in 2005-2009 and sold to a nice old chap in Kamloops BC. He owned it for 4 years, barely drove it, stored it outside and basically let it start to rot. I saved it this summer.

My plans;

re-do the interior with new gauges, cut and weld the dash for a factory style radio, and touch things up, its not too bad as it is.

Drivetrain: all new or rebuilt.... from the radiator to the lug nuts. I have a crate ramjet 350, completely rebuilt SM465, and NP205. I will do the diffs and drive shafts when I get the motor in, and things like radiator, headers, brakes ect will all be new items.

Once she's together and running perfect, (hopefully for this summer) I will drive her for a bit and shake the bugs out. After Alaska I plan to rip her apart again, and completely redo the body to perfect shape.

The truck was painted once a different shade of orange, it was a typical "mask off lights, windows and spray" job, so colors don' match. That annoys me, but I know I will abuse the body on my Alaska trip, so that why I will wait to strip her down and paint in correctly.

Anyways, here are some pics.
Attached Images

-1971 1/2 ton 4x4 SWB, Ramjet 350/SM465/NP205, 6" lift, 35" BFG's, 15x8 ralley's, and lots more to come....
-1957 GM 3800 (9433) Napco 4x4, She's rough and I love it!
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote