View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 06:05 AM   #1554
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Next job after coffee was to start replicating the firewall plate for the steering column in steel.

Nick,found and shaped some steel plate while I created a template, then copied, punched, drilled the plate while he was removing the last tab off the support, which we could not figure or remember a function or purpose to.

Drilled.

Another of my many council tip finds from hears ago.

A load of super sized drill bits, adapted to my chuck, going through after them13mm TiN bit did its job.

Love it when old found tools are just the right tool for the job.

Test mounted.

Column placed.

Loads more to do.

Big chunks of time are spent between Nick and I bouncing and refining ideas.

One of them was to sleeve the column where it passes through the firewall plate, weld the sleeve to the plate and then tighten it down with a captive nut and bolt.

We could not find any pipe of the right, or even close to right diameter, so I suggested rolling a pipe shaped clamp around a former on the vice.

So while making the plate, Nick got on with the shaping of the flat plate into this beautiful piece.

Jubilee Clip will clamp it around the shaft sheath.

Today my first job will be to get my air die grinder out and to grind back the hole to the inside of the red circle, after which Nick can tack and Mig weld it partially to the plate.

Refining of the hole and access will be done once bolted in place, followed by pedals, plates and clutch m/c

Before shutting down for the evening at 7.00pm Nick pulled this rabbit out his hat…….

The carports gutting down pipes still have not been fitted, yes I am a touch lazy.

But the pipe is an exact fit for the extension needed when the air-box is relocated in the engine bay.

I will keep my eyes open for a 600mm offcut of black pipe in a skip the next week or two.

Time to get down to the garage and start again.

Seems that time is ticking.

Progress though.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote