View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #31
Snake72

Re: Grandpa's 72 restoration

So this past weekend was pretty good, drug the frame out of the snow and into the shop and got the bed taken off. Had to torch most of the 8 bolts. Lifted bed off with the hoist and got the front bed panel off. It needs to get straightened out but we can use it. I'm trying to save the crossrails, front panel and rear sill. The original bed wood is actually really solid but somewhat warped and cracked. I'd love to try and get the wood out in one piece and restore it just because you never see original bedwood in these trucks. If not, I'll pick up some old Iowa barn timbers and have them milled into boards. Great character in that old wood. Something different. Already have new tubs, will need new bedsides and probably tailgate.

The frame is in very solid condition. Torched off old farm bumper and trailer hitch. Degreased and pressure washed the frame a few times. The very front crossmember is bent to crap, looks like the truck got stuck and pulled out with a chain and tractor. Got a new porterbuilt tubular crossmember that bolts between the core support mounts. Couldn't find an original or repop crossmember. It appears the porterbuilt one I got had one flange welded in upside down and does not fit the bolt pattern. Have to cut and reweld that. Truck has original ball joints and possibly even the shocks and front end components. Everything actually seems solid and tight but will probably replace all of it anyway. One rear leaf pack has a broken bottom leaf. Someone shoved another leaf in on top of it so that has to be fixed right. As well as all leaf bushings etc. The rear end is a 12 bolt 3:73 open diff, will clean it up and reseal everything.

Question for you guys. Frame is getting blasted in a week or two hopefully. I have a quote to powdercoat for 600-800. Or we could blast and epoxy prime and paint it. Or we could blast and use KBS rust seal and blacktop top coat/POR 15 for much cheaper. Blasting the frame will be 200, KBS kit with everything is 90. What would you guys do??

Cant wait to get the frame all shiny black and suspension/front end all rebuilt. Then we get finish motor and trans, get them set in and put the cab on. I'd like to get all this done before June when our twins are due. Lots to do!!

And here are some pics
Attached Images

Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote