Thread: 72 Lwb
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #26
Super73

Re: 72 Lwb

Personally I don't feel you "need" coil overs in the rear. Here is why.

Spring / shock location change 2 things. Leverage ratio each item see's and rate of speed each item sees. A spring and or shock in front of the axle has more leverage put on it than a spring behind the axle. A spring and or shock placed in front of the axle is going to move slower than one placed behind the axle. So, what am I getting at here.

Tuneability is what you need. Understanding what the suspension needs and being able to compensate for it.

In the rear, again, I would go with stock location and a long light spring if you have > 100% antisquat

If you are < 100% A/S I would go with a slightly heavier spring to help keep that energy from being lost.

Now for shocks..

If you have an adjustable shock, the question you need to ask yourself is what do I need.. Having the shock behind the axle is going to make your adjustments more noticable for each click compared to if it was in front of the axle and you may not need to use as many adjustments (IE 12 way shock you may only use adjustments 3-6). Now having the shock in front might require you to use the stiffer settings 5-11. Again, do you have > or < 100% A/S as that is going to come in to play here a little too.
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote