View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: Installing a CPP C-Notch kit on a '66 shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Hump View Post
Looks good. I just finished my c notch yesterday. Do you think towing will be a problem with these notches? I am a little concerned....what are you thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
My thoughts on anybody c-notching is weld the outside and box and weld the inside, all the stress is put on the c-notch if you don`t, you really need to spread the work load out.

Yes, towing capacity will be a problem!

I ran FEA based on some data that a site member sent me and this type of bolted in notch severely derates the frame strength behind the rear axle.

Call CPP. Ask them for some documented proof of towing capacity, such as FEA or actual tests they have done. Ask them to "certify" the capacity of the hitch by providing something that is on company letterhead, signed by a Professional Engineer or a company officer. I am betting you won't get it.

Don't shoot the messenger here guys. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I am not saying CPP stuff isn't top quality. I am saying though if you don't get something in writing from them stating rated towing capacity you are on your own if you have a towing failure or problem.

Here is a thread that goes into this in more detail:
Frame Notch Based On Strength

Quoting myself, from the aforementioned link:
"If you want the frame to be as strong as stock and you want a notch deeper than the 2" there is simply no substitute for adding some sort of truss above the frame, or replacing the frame section with another structural member that has the same section height as the original frame.

Whenever someone starts talking about a deep c-notch and state that just by adding thicker plates to the sides of the frame rails this makes the frame stronger than it was in its original condition, yet they are and not adding vertical height, they do not understand beam analysis."

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-27-2011 at 10:04 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote