View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #68
Kracin

Re: 69 Fleetside, Build and Sell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
Kracin,
I started at a car lot in 1985 I have been going to auction and selling cars part time on and off ever since. This is a fan site not a business site. Posting here is probably a mistake. You do need to decide if you are doing this cause you love trucks or to make money.
I am not going to get into the whole metal vs. fiberglass repair but I would like to talk about the auto business. If you want to get into it to making money one of these older trucks is not the way to do it. How many hours do you think you will have in all that patching? Even if you patched it the quick way the prep for paint job on a 12K truck is 100s of hours. Simple fact is you will not make any real money on this truck. It’s going to 20-40 dollar you to death and at the end of 6 to 8 month you'll be lucky to break even with what you have in it. Old rusty anything’s are almost always loser the only exception are rare cars/trucks that are going to bring the big money.
But let’s say it worked like you hope and after 6-8 months of work you made 9K. That still a pretty sucky plan. You could fine a late model almost anything with a bad tranny for 3K Pull the tranny in one weekend take to a shop for rebuild clean the car up thru the week, reinstall the tranny the next weekend and sell car a few days later with 1500-2000 profit, same is true with comedic body damage. Do that twice a month and the end of your 6-8 months you will have a lot more money and a lot less headache and hours of labor.
Buying cars that are in good shape that have one major thing wrong with them is much better profit wise then any type of across the board restoration.
I know this is not going to change your mind about doing this it’s just something to think about.
i realise this as well, and recently bought a 93 jimmy for 1200 and resold for 3500 a week later since the guy was military and was leaving the island the next week and needed to sell it (easy to buy cars here since people cant take them with them most of the time).

but im doing this build because its a fun thing to do, and a way to pass time, and building cars is a hobby of mine, so im definately not in it for the money, and i posted earlier that even if i break even ill be happy with it, i never planned on keeping the truck either..

thanks for the insight though, but i already started doing exactly what your talkin about, craigslist works wonders for finding great deals
Kracin is offline   Reply With Quote