Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #68
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Today was a super sunny day, kinda rare around these parts...

Started the day installing both rear hubs, prepped and slid an axle into place and stopped dead in my tracks, i never noticed it before partly because i read other posts about reusing the old wheel studs and I also called the conversion place and he said I'd be fine too, but i figured i'd better go get one of my wheels, sure enough the old studs were too short, there is a taper in the wheel, but between the taper and the 2-3 threads sticking out i was only good for about 1/2" of threads, not good... crap! wish i had checked that earlier, so off come the freshly torqued hubs, pressed a stud back out of one of the hubs and head up town

Napa had to order the studs, Plus they came in boxes of 10 so i had to pay for 4 extra lugs, i didn't argue i needed studs, they said i could get them tomorrow as it was past the last window to get them in today, i asked if it was possible to have there parts runner make one more trip and they agreed! Thank you Napa, I had my new studs about 2 hours later. 1 box of Dorman 610-189, and 1 box of Balkamp 641-1067, the same studs but boxed differently.

Once home i pressed out the old studs and new pressed back in in about 1 hour and then got the hubs reinstalled, it was now past sunset so out comes the trouble light so i could install the axles, rotors and my new brake lines.

Another setback but not my fault, when i ordered the lift kit they needed to know if i had 56" or 52" rear springs, they asked me to measure from one eyelet around the bottom of the bottom spring to the back eyelet, i got 53" and they said that was a 52" spring so i said all i cared about was not having blocks, i wanted full springs in the rear, not a problem they said. I checked the part numbers of the rear springs yesterday against the webpage and they were the 56" springs, the same springs that held up my order the last 2 weeks..... So they are ordering the 52" springs..
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote