View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #50
Axle

Re: new steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
1. Drill two new holes in the modified shaft and install bolts. The problem is it wont collapse and not sure if it will tighten it up enough to get rid of the slop

2. Weld the two shafts together at the connection.
Do not get rid of the movement. If you do, something is going to get damaged as the cab moves in relation to the frame. ie: soft cab bushings, they age and sag movement has to come from somewhere, the normal twisitng of the frame when you turn, changes in surface height at one corner etc).
On the original shaft there is enough free play fore/aft to take care of this without noticing (the rag joint a bit, and that hybrid u-joint up by the steering column).

When I first put in the jeep shaft I only heated it up enough to break the slip
joint free and tap it to length. What I found in driving it is there was enough cab movement that I had popping/snap heard and felt in the steering wheel, turns out the source of that popping was the slip shaft having to break the friction of the remaining plastic bushing since there was no where else for movement to occur. Ended up knocking the remainder of the plastic bushing out and greasing it up good. No more popping, just back to more slop in the wheel.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote