View Single Post
Old 06-21-2023, 12:58 PM   #274
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

I managed to get the driver's door done with the Altman bear claws.

The door is fitting pretty well - might could go back just a scooch

This door had a bear claw latch of my own design in it already, so the Altman cover plate was pretty useless because it wouldn't fit the already modified door. The Altman kit wants the latch to be about 1.5" lower so I patched the old catch hole and cut another one. Used the Altman cover plate as a donor for the patch I welded in. The Altman contours are not very crisp but I'll mud the patch and it should look OK.

Got everything in and working - and the door still wouldn't close all the way and wouldn't make it past the first 'catch' on the bear claw. I pulled out the Sofseal weatherstrip and it now works great - time to order the low profile seal from Steele Rubber. (FWIW, the 3M double sided tape on the weatherstrip came off pretty easy after I brushed on some wax and grease remover and let it soak for a while)

I also wanted to get the inside linkage to follow the track in the door and not rub on the door card, so I modified the stock handle mechanism by trading it for the passenger part and modifying the Altman supplied linkage.

I had to modify the window channel track a little to get it to clear the Altman bear-claw, then I can fit a new regulator and window glass. The stainless inside trim is back from the polisher and I'm anxious to see how it looks installed.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote