View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #18
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

StreetRodder

Street Rodder had a good article on this in thier November 2003 issue (yes I went digging through to find it haha.

It's on page 74 and the title of the article is "Got Rust" - A Quick Look At How It's Done. They show how a '32 Ford Pickup was Patina Painted.

Basically they Painted certain areas on the truck with a "rusty red primer" - High Wear/Fade areas (i.e. Rocker, Doors- where your arms would rest, cowl, Top Edges of the fenders, Bed, etc. etc. etc.) This was after they primed it with a regular grey primer that they sprayed selected areas with the rusty red.

Then after letting it dry over nite they gave it a very light scuff and sprayed it with John Deere Blitz Black (not primer - cause it won't fight corrosion) I guess you could use any Flat Black Paint (Enamel Based) Napa Also has a commercial Coatings I think it is part # 6036 but i'm not sure. It is a Flat Black Enamel Single stage.

They let that dry over night. They used some maroon scratch/scotch bright pads to scuff up the black and then *Brush Painted* the entire truck with "1-shot Sign Painters Enamel Paint" Thinned with Mineral Spirits to a "watery type consistancy" and they said as far as the brushing...the more the better. they used 2" wide brushes. (and they used a Blueish Grey color - similar to grey primer) They also suggested adding a little bit of flattening agent to the paint.

Let that dry overnight.
Then they started scuffing it with the maroon pads again... and made sure to get down the the "rusty red" primer in the spots that they put it...just enough to have the red "peeking" through.

THey got really creative next and airbrushed rust stains and oxidation stains under Bolts, Door Handles, Louvers etc.

If you can get a copy of this article that would be a great place to start. they still might have back issues of it available.

StreetRodder: November 2003 and there is a picture of the truck on the top right corner of the cover and a Blown MOON 6x2 97s EFI Hemi on the front as well.

It is a really cool article and I think that it would be a fun thing to try to do - especially to make a "sleeper" as your thinking about doing.

Hope this helps
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered

Last edited by arkracing; 06-22-2005 at 08:35 PM.
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote