View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 02:39 AM   #25
rod1701

Re: Patina Paint Job?

Old, old thread I know. Several good and lots of bad videos on the technique. A straight, distressed car looks better than dented or banged up one.
1) Replace/repair panels.
2) sand 80-600
3) seal/prime
4) lay down a black under coat all over
5) I mixed a orange and black to make a red oxide color. Plan this out. Good/roof/trunk. Tips of fenders/drip rails, emblems, door handles or areas where rust might develop. Spray a medium coat.
6) paint top color another medium coat. Or thinner on the top panels, thicker on side panels where less sun would hit.
7) think about where you want rust or distressed spots to shine thru and go to work. Start with 120, and feather in age spots. If you sand thru, touch up with a spray can of red primer and feather out.

Look at cars like you’d and see where natural age is showing for more authentic effect.

Some people like to clear when they get the final result. Personally I used less expensive single stage paints, final sand with 2000, and polished it. The fading and chalkiness of the single stage stuff will start to look like like it’s fading and really old.

For the naysayers, sure I could spend $8-10k and get professional or bear show quality paint job or spend a few weekends, $500, and plenty of elbow grease to get a ride that gets appreciative glances, smiles, and thumbs up while driving a fun ride that I don’t really worry so much about shopping cart dings and Rock chips because they just add to the distress NG or be done.