View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #11
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: 1972 GM 350 throbbing engine vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Actually I got this confused with another thread where the OP stated he had an XXXXX010 block. I caught my error but left my reply because all 72 350s came with a neutral balancer and flexplate. As I said unless the crank has been changed it should be a neutral balancer and flex plate. The latter 350s with a one piece rear main seal did come with a weighted flexplate. So the block can tell you what balancer and flexplate came with it from the factory. Of course if it has an aftermarket crank it could come with weighted balancer and flexplate or neutral balancer and flexplate or any combination there of.
Wasn't the one piece rear main seal a change that happened in the mid 80s? I'm thinking '86 off the top of my head. Anyway, by then it would have been called 5.7 liter, wouldn't it? It would have taken a completely different balancer too.
The counterweighted cranks are indexed to the flywheel/flexplate too. It would be hard to get that mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote