View Single Post
Old 04-09-2023, 12:53 AM   #980
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I had an automatic choke on a Carter AFB on the 454 BBC in my '67 K/10 Suburban. It kept kicking in when I didn't want it. One time I was in Pinetop, AZ [Elev. 6800'] on a ski trip. In the Safeway parking lot, for no reason, the choke suddenly cut in. A friendly local cowboy showed me a trick of stuffing the handle of a Craftsman screwdriver into the carb flap to keep it open.
The engine was tuned for my home of Tucson [Elev. 2700'].
Another time, I was working on a movie that used the Anaconda pit mine in Sahuarita for a location. While the local surface elevation was about the same as Tucson's, when I had to go down a couple levels, I lost about 2000', and the choke went crazy again. I remembered the screwdriver trick and got out of the hole.
After that, I restored the OEM Choke cable and put a manual choke adapter on the Carter AFB.
My Stepside always had manual choke on a 292, but when I made performance modifications like an Offy intake, Clifford headers and a 4-bbl 390 Holley, I altered the Holley for manual choke. When I rebuilt the 292 -- 25 years later, the Holley was shot. I got an Edelbrock 1404 with manual choke. [Carters had become history.]
Likewise when I re-engined my '71 Jimmy with a crate 350 and put a Carter Performance Series AFB [625 CFM] I got a manual choke carb and added a factory style choke cable to the '71 dash.
Now the choke doesn't go in unless I pull it.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-09-2023 at 12:58 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote