View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #13
ItWillBeSlow

Re: Roof patch causing warp / oil canning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
For the situation you are in, I would use some metal adhesive (Fusor 208 would be my choice) to put the piece(s) in & limit your "effected" area. Over the years I've done several antenna/light holes in ex-police vehicles, ect. with no issues.

A round "backer" slipped in, half under the original skin & half to sit the patch on will allow for a better/flatter finish. You'll want to do it in two stages, put in the backer...let it dry, then install the filler piece. This way you can work through the hole to hold the backer in place until it dries

I'm sure you have realized now that it would have been best a week ago to ask: "How would you guys go about filling this 1" round hole in this roof?", but hey...thats what makes it all a challenge. Lorne
Can you elaborate more on the purpose of the backer? Is this to help absorb heat, or support the patch before it goes in? I dont understand how it would help the shrinkage, if that is the root cause of the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
I'm sure you have realized now that it would have been best a week ago to ask: "How would you guys go about filling this 1" round hole in this roof?", but hey...thats what makes it all a challenge. Lorne
Definitely agree with this statement. However I have already done cab corners, rockers, floor patches, pillars, cab supports on this truck. This is my first rodeo obviously but I was looking at this hole as one of my last "easy" metal work tasks.... (wrong!).