View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: aluminum polish did I miss a step?

When I first started with polishing, I tried a lot of ways with a cloth, toothbrush, and other ways. I finally saw a fellow at a swap meet that had the razor buffs and that really got me started. I purchased some buffs, a mandrel and from there I have expanded. I now have a couple of grinder stands with buffers mounted on them, so that I can do aluminum in stages and then I finish with a rubbing compound to get a mirror finish. I have found that I can take aluminum strips from a hardware store and make all kinds of brackets for my projects, easier than working some steel pieces.

Mechanical buffing will always leave a set of rotary marks and those can be removed by using hand polishing compounds. As I was leading to in my first input---you have to work your way to a smooth finish, but your eyes can lead you astray, that is why you have to go to the smallest grit, that you can on your sand paper before taking a piece to a finish buff. Never put a lot of pressure on your material. EXAMPLE: put your fingernail up to the buffing pad and let it work on it---that is about hs hard of pressure you would want to apply to a buffing wheel.