Thread: Bear's 65
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #62
shrekbear

Re: Bear's 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchantcustoms View Post
Great idea for the roof. Do you mind going thru the process you used? How did you keep from using to much foam
Posted via Mobile Device
The roof had identical dents/low spots on the left and right sides-like there was an overhead rack for tires, etc. The left side reacted well to our homemade stud gun, but the right refused to cooperate. Sounds like a typical issue with these trucks. The right side was far more "oil canny" for some reason. I could press a large portion down with two fingers resulting in a rather large, but shallow crater/saucer.

Whatever I did, I knew I would need to clean up the mess from the studs, so I drilled a hole just big enough for the straw, fed the straw in to different areas and let the foam work. Like I said before, I couldn't think of a reason not to do it. The void between the interior and exterior roof is shallow, but expansive. I wasn't worried about too much foam. The foam will follow the path of least resistance. I dont know if it matters, but I released the foam in incrimates. I would dump some in then wait a few minutes and repeat. I used 1/2 to 3/4 of the can over 30+ minutes. In my mind, i wanted it to set up a little each time. I do not know if it matters. Thats what i did.

I probably used more than necessary, but I wasn't afraid of it seeping out. Besides, it's hard to save a can of foam for another day. Maybe it will help insulate? Stop rust? Slowly poison me?
It helps having a plumber in the family. Those guys always have expanding foam in their vans. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.

I let it sit til the next day. Worked well.
Posted via Mobile Device