View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #165
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

You may think that your car is relatively rot free but, nobody really knows until they play…

The Knot Wheel of Truth!(™)

( a bit like Wonder Womans ‘Lasso of Truth’ But without Linda Vaughn…and the shorts…and Boobs)

As I had stripped out the interior- well as much as there is- to perform the repairs above - I decided that a quick run over with ‘The Knot Wheel of Truth’ (™) was in order to knock off the ‘surface’ rust and dirt accumulated over the years before treating with a layer of Schutz to help protect and reduce the noise level in Woodys cab.

Looks good…

Now, I already knew about this -

- on the drivers side toe board but ‘The Knot Wheel of Truth’ highlighted a few other issues…

This on the bottom of the ‘A’ pillar

A number of ‘pin holes’

And a corresponding bit of Frilly on the passengers side toe board

(That is a shadow by the way - just looked at the picture and had to go back out to the shed to check as gave myself a fright!)

So…All in all not so bad, in fact a lot better than I was expecting for a 50 year old ex service truck.

Question is… On the ‘pin holes’ the surrounding metal is pretty good, not soft and took a fairly good beating from a pair of scissors I happened to have to hand.

Would you cut it out or spot repair it with weld and grinding? It is the area under the drivers heel below the accelerator pedal.

Using only the highest quality CAD

I used some of the removed panels to shape this.

To repair the ‘A’ Pillar. No picture of the finished item but looks pretty good.

Toe board was repaired in an equally ‘Womble’ way

Cut Cut

( I tacked the bolt on there to give me something to hold whilst positioning the patch and also somewhere to stick the earth)

Buzz Buzz

Quite pleased with that.

Running out of time to patch up the passenger side I decided to finish off the ‘B’ Pillar

And throw some red oxide at the back of the cab.

The sins can now be seen in all their glory…An appointment with Mr Millar will be forth coming soon.

Next will be to repair the passengers side, fix the pin holes (method dependant on advice) then a skim of seam sealer, paint and seal the floor, and move on to the next thing on the list.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote