View Single Post
Old 03-07-2024, 12:23 PM   #185
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

Small progress while waiting on parts……

I had been putting off torquing the HB bolt , it can be difficult to achieve the necessary torque without a big torque wrench. To make certain the HB is installed completely, it needs to be torqued to 240 ft pounds. Then the old bolt is removed and a new bolt is installed and torqued to 37ft pounds +140 degrees. I made a mark on the bolt and a impact socket. I then taped up the face of the Harmonic balancer and marked it out from the 12 O’clock position , 3 O’clock , 4 O’clock, 5 & 6 . This way if the balancer moves a bit I could still tell where 140 degrees was, which is just before 5 O’clock if starting at 12 O’clock.

With the transmission in gear and the initial 37ft pounds torqued, I started with the line on the bolt and socket lined up at 12 on the balancer an turned the bolt to just before 5 o’clock. This takes considerable effort, the final torque ended up at 245 ft pounds, but is kind of irrelevant for this TTY bolt as the degrees are more important in this case to achieve proper bolt stretch and final torque. My 1/2” torque wrench only goes to 250 Ft pounds, I may look for one that goes a bit higher and is longer for better leverage, possibly stepping up to a 3/4 drive ? Not completely necessary, but would make the job easier.
If/when I take the balancer off again for any reason I think I will just go with an ARP balancer bolt, they are reusable, and just get a torque spec. This time I had a new GM TTY bolt on hand because I ordered 2 a few years ago .

I also added a Sneek peek of the valve covers, my son sent me a pic a couple days ago. He’s not quite done yet, he is very busy at work and has side work he does in the evening at home, that plus a 10 month old baby boy makes for a challenging schedule. I do appreciate him taking time to help with my projects.
Attached Images