View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 08:32 PM   #39
hank scorpio

Re: New Guy- grandpa's truck

Time to update this thread! Where we left off around beginning of the year I pulled the front clip, 283 and 3 speed to freshen it up. I had a full thread here..

Since then, honestly haven't done much till recently other than just driving it but done a few things recently. First up was acquired a set of Toyota FJ steelies, painted them white and mounted up a set of 235/65/17's:

(super cool fleet side custom around the corner from my house)

Took me a couple days to warm up to the new wheels but I'm really happy with them now. The modern center caps work well on this look and any tires beat the 20+ year old, wrinkled from sitting flat for years tires that were on there. World of difference.

Next I took the truck on my first proper road trip with it. One of my wood suppliers is in Sonoma about 70 miles from my shop.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU3Y1E8v2Pk/

About halfway thru filling the bed up with Thermo Pine and Roasted Ash.

Truck did great, 150 miles round trip, got 16mpg! I had to do the math 3 times, couldn't believe it. Just cruised along at 63-65mph behind a like minded semi most of one way then must have had a tail wind coming back home!

Max and I have been going out to the local cars and coffee occasionally..

though this trip I had ulterior motives i'll touch on in a minute

Went to the C10 meet at Mickie Grove Park last weekend. My kids are still small enough we can all squeeze in the truck and theres a little zoo at the park so the kids had a good time. Truck was looking good

(Also I installed a set of VintageCarLED's there, they work great and look original'ish)

I brought the bedwood guitar- not sure anyone cared but I thought it was neat.

Then the latest project relates to our trip to cars and coffee. That happened to be Max's birthday (weekend) and he out grew his bike so we went to my favorite bike shop that just happened to be the same parking lot (what a plan) and got a new bike. We're at the point where my youngest can ride pretty good now so wanted to work out a way of hauling them around better.

This rack worked out great and I was able to just use a pair of slotted L Brackets to bolt it to a some tiedowns my grandfather drilled in probably 40 years ago.

Had some help setting it all up

That's it! It's funny for all the plans I had when I got this truck, more and more I enjoy it just as it is. Especially after doing a couple freeway trips with out issue (slow but no issue)
Simpsons Nerd
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote