View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Timing & Gas Milage

Update Pertronix 02/09/21: Canceled my Pertronix Ignitor III D7100700. Seems the Ignitor III does not work well with older OEM Tachometers - something about multiple spark. Though it appears using the Ignitor II D100700 is okay with OEM in-dash Tach. I am now looking directly at Pertronix site and have submitted a tech question.

Quote:
Pertronix Support
Hello,
I will be honest you will most likely have issues with the tachometer not reading correctly. If that is the case, you will need to add a 10K 1/2 RESISTOR in the tach signal line. We do not sell these resistors. Your vacuum canister is easily obtainable directly through us.
Changed Ported to Manifold Vacuum 02/09/21: Idle went up by ~150 RPMs, so lowered it back down to ~650 RPMs. Truck is puncher off idle/full stop and preforms just as well, if not better when WOT. Matter of fact, I was able to spin the wheels at 3/4 peddle from the stop sign. No ticking / knocking that I can hear. But this was only getting her up to 50 and testing WOT between 35~40 MPH. There is only so much I'd speed around town LOL

Changed Ported to Manifold Vacuum 02/09/21 Part II: I put about 60 miles on last night. 80% 55~70 MPH and the rest town driving. I got 12 MPG

Installed PerTronix Ignitor II D100700 & Flame-Thrower II Coil 45011 02/13/21: Now getting a full 38° Max Mechanical Advance @30k, with a 12° Initial timing @650 RPMs. Also no apparent issues with my OEM Tach that I see so far. Vacuum canister on PerTronix actually works (even the TSP replacement canister I got in the mail will not hold vacuum).

The changes are: New Pertronix Flame-Thrower II, New Flame-Thrower Coil & Wires. 12° initial timing, ~900 RPM idle (Park) and ~640 RPM idle (Drive).

Quote:
60 Mile test drive, great mixed city and highway (Tx Farm Roads up to 70 MPH).

15 MPG!

I after changing my spark wires for the matching Pertronix Flame-Throwers that actually made a noticeable change in how she preformed. Before I'd get this odd power loss between 1st & 2nd / 2nd & 3rd shifting when just getting up to speed (say on a side street, getting up to 30~35). It wasn't a big drop or did it feel she was bogging down - just an odd blip of power loss. So something was up with those wires for sure. I am glad I decided to listen to Pertronix support and bought their wires to match their distributor!!
Update 10/31/21
With my newly rebuilt 72 Quadrajet done by Cliff High Performance and my newly installed Progression Ignition I got 18.5 MPG!

Timing setup can be seen with Progression Ignition app (it is controlled by your phone).

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 10-31-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote