View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #25
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Timing & Gas Milage

On one of my trucks I built for dd 20 odd years ago. I added a vacuum guage so I could monitor mpg performance.

Little things that help mpg.

A air cleaner that is above the carb. The opposite of a drop base air cleaner. This helps air flow into the carb.

A small spacer or grinding out the divider in your plenum. Sonthe carb can see both side of the plenum. Thus equalizing vacuum on both sides.

Get a afr guage. I am not sure which is a good brand anymore, but they help you dial in cruise afr. While keeping full throttle where you need it. Roadkill Garage Idaho tater truck episode has a good tutorial on how to tune step by step, but you have to have some carb knowledge first.

A cowl indication hood with the back end open. This allows air through the grille to escape, and reduces drag. While allowing the carb to get cooler air with out a ducted system. Which is not a bad idea either.

While they won't make a 12mpg truck get 22mpg. That can help you achieve your trucks fullest potential. Which is pretty well baked into the fact it is a truck, the engine, stuff in the bed, height of truck, and heavy wheel/tire combo's. All of which effect mpg.

Recently I purchased a used Decked system for my truck. It dropped my pure highway mpg to 22 pretty much all the time. From the 24-26 mpg I usually got depending on how fast I was driving. I still like it, and the extra storage works for the way I live my life. So longer drives cost a bit more which is acceptable for what it does for me. Especially fishing or camping.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote