View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
grubsster

Re: Can't get distributor to lock down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
There must not be much downward pressure on the oil pump if it still turns. It must not be sitting tight on the manifold. I think I would try a double gasket to see if it tightens it up. I wonder if the heads and intake have been re-surfaced.
Thanks for the reply. I agree because I've driven the truck for a while now but always chasing this timing issue. I tried the moroso nylon spacers with no luck.

I checked using my msd street fire distributor last night and without a gasket or spacers stands about ..035 taller than the intake. Seems the spacers and gasket installed would have compensated. The engine was completely redone and yes the block was decked .010 and has vortec heads. I called the engine shop and they said I should just need the spacer. I did try what another member on here did which was tap the intermediate shaft to make sure it's seated with no luck. I have also tried multiple hold downs but none of the extreme ones like geezer or rocknrod posted. Can't believe my little 283 would need something that extreme but I'm close to buying one.

Still looking for help...thanks everyone.
grubsster is offline   Reply With Quote