View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #69
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

The concept evolves, where function and aesthetics work out a compromise.

With using the small bear claw latches to hold the tailgate closed I decided they needed to be covered so that the majority of the latch just doesn’t hang out on the side visible to all. Went through a number of concept thoughts of how to accomplish this and think I found one that works for me (let me know what you think)

I took a lot of pictures as I progressed thru this modification and rather than have a wall of text to describe all the pictures I decided to incorporate some of the text into the pictures. Not that this is a “How To” just wanted to share my thoughts and work that went into this modification and a little self pride in this accomplishment HA HA.

What I started with and working in the concept with mockup’s

Name:  Starting-concept.jpg
Views: 10342
Size:  97.8 KB

I saw on another web site about building up a weld on the edge of the metal and thought I could use this idea. I’ve never done this before and with my less than steady hand decided to use a wood template my neighbor made for me as a guide.

Fabricating the end plate’s

Name:  Bed-end-plate.jpg
Views: 10357
Size:  88.2 KB

Welding, grinding, drilling and cutting (O-MY)

Name:  Welding-and-Fitting.jpg
Views: 10276
Size:  77.2 KB

More welding and finish work is required but I think you can see how the finished area will look

Name:  Assembled-for-a-look.jpg
Views: 10327
Size:  67.0 KB

My next area of work is welding up the stake pockets, finishing up the welding on the end covers and approximately 18 other holes in each of the bed top surfaces and sides (I think this truck has had more than one cover installed on it over time with all the drilled mounting holes)

Another couple of weeks have been written into the books and the progress is moving on no mater how slowly