View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #55
70gmcPT4

Re: "BIG" truck forum C/40, C/50, C/60 and the like...

I have a 70 gmc school bus converted to a RV and love it. It is a pusher with the 401 v6 and 6 sp allison auto tranny. I would love a place to ask specific questions like one I'm trying to solve right now. My bus has the dayton style wheels and I want badly to convert it to a 10 lug design. I thought I had the answer when my dad's neighbor offered me his mid 60's C-60 dump truck. on the outside the dimensions were the same but after taking them both apart I discovered my bus has larger front spindles and brake shoes and would require custom bearings and machine work on the hubs. the rear was even worse. the c60 had a gm axle that I believe is the equivalent of a rockwell(the outside demensions were the same, but my actual rockwell on the bus has about a 50% larger axle shaft and way bigger brake shoes. My question is this: Is there a direct fit 10 lug that I can swap out on my bus?? What vehicle should I be looking for to do it?? I'm hoping that I can just swap out the hubs to make this change and not entire axle.
70gmcPT4 is offline   Reply With Quote