View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
Lugnutz65

Re: Putting In a American Autowire Harness - What to Expect?

I'm just beginning the installation of an AAW Classic Update Kit for 1960-66.
I'm not knocking AAW. They have good reviews and sell a great product.

The diagrams and directions are good, but not perfect. Compare the original wiring harness to whatever you are doing. Here's an example of me coming close to making a minor screw up. The 1965 fuel gauge has a pink and a brown wire. Depending on which way you look at the connection block (V shaped block) you might get the wires swapped. Look at their diagram in the photo next to the original 1965 factory connection block. After studying the diagram, I would have installed them wrong. Lucky I had an original wire harness to compare. The AAW diagram actually IS CORRECT, but could easily be misinterpreted after a just quick glance.

Also, these 2 tools will save you time and money. AAW wants to RENT you a pair of crimpers for exactly what I PAID for my crimper. My ratcheting crimper even does spark plug wires and a bunch of other stuff because it has several different dies. The 5th pic shows the die I used tonight to make all of my gauge cluster terminal crimps. All were made using the middle position - 14-16 GA.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 06-17-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote